Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July 1

The Book of Proverbs has 31 chapters and I’m making my second attempt to read one a day to Luke. Verses 1-9 were intense for me this morning as I watched him crawl around, especially verses 8 & 9:
8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
9 They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.

Here is 1-9:

1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;

for understanding words of insight;
3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,

doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to the simple,

knowledge and discretion to the young-
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,

and let the discerning get guidance-
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,

the sayings and riddles of the wise.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,

but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction

and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
9 They will be a garland to grace your head

and a chain to adorn your neck.

No comments: